If I had a dollar for every time I’ve argued with some wingnut about how radical President Barack Obama is (or in reality isn’t), I’d be a very rich man. It’s cool to find someone who can summarize the points neatly with a bit of snarky humor thrown in for good measure.
In Bill Maher’s latest rant on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher”, Maher lays out the case for the GOP delusion of a radical Obama. For starters, since Maher is a standup comic, he tours America all the time. He sees “real” Americans every day. And guess what? Nothing has changed. It’s the same damn America it was under Bush. People work, go to church, go to the mall and buy Justin Bieber tickets. With Bill’s help, let’s look at the things Obama hasn’t done that might have classified him as radical.
- Pulled the troops out of Afghanistan.
- Medicare for all.
- Ended the war on drugs.
- Cut the defense budget in half.
- Turned Dick Cheney over to the Hague.
Now let’s look at some of the radical things he has done:
- Cut taxes and spending — how radical!
- He didn’t break up the too big to fail banks.
- More oil drilling under Obama than ever.
- Dow 7949 to 12000 with record profits for corporations … how socialist!!
As Maher says, the GOP needs to paint the picture of Obama that justifies their hatred. The fact that it is based in fiction seems beside the point.
So the choice this November, my friends, is between a moderate liberal and moderate conservative pretending to be a right-wing nut job. Have fun at the polls but don’t be deluded.